Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Zach-y quilt

I don't think I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm a quilter. Unlike the Amish who put mistakes in their quilts on purpose (because only God can make something perfect) mine have natural flaws. And plenty of them. That's what makes them unique! Although I haven't done much quilting in the past couple of years, I recently made a baby quilt for my nephew, Zach. Yes, I bought the stuff last spring before he was born. Yes, I looked at it all summer. Then something clicked in November and I got busy and completed it the other day. Just in time for his 7-month birthday today. Yay!

First I laid the blocks out on the dining room table until I was pleased with the lineup:


After that I sewed each row together and then sewed rows to rows. I decided to tie this quilt together with blue cotton instead of quilting it with the machine. I sewed the binding on between 10 and 11 o'clock one night. Not a good idea. I ended up taking out a big part of one side and re-doing it. Twice. But I finally got it right and was able to do the hand-stitch finishing work in one sitting. This is what the finished product looks like:

The final flourish:


Now I just need to finish those two quilts I started over three years ago...

8 comments:

Lori said...

It's really beautiful, Chris. Zach is a lucky nephew!

Linda said...

Beautiful, beautiful! Love the colors! I agree with Lori, Zach is one lucky kid!

Khageman said...

Zach is definitely lucky. But what I am wondering is how I could have known you for all these years and not known you quilted. I can't even sew!

Heather rules said...

I love it.

Country Girl said...

you've GOT to teach me to quilt. i am wanting to do one for james... a compilation of old jerseys, etc from all his sporting stuff. :) i just wish i still had a bunch of his baby clothes. :(

chitknit said...

Cool! Never knew you were a crafty mama, too. It looks great - I love the fabric.

Kathryn said...

You are very talented. Great job!

Lori said...

Lovely! Chris, please let me know if you'd ever like to get together to quilt. We could make a fun day out of it!