Friday, November 9, 2007

Apostrophe etiquette

If you've been reading my blog religiously (and, really, who wouldn't), you know that I have a pet peeve about punctuation and grammar. I am, by no means, an expert. But, seriously, things have gotten very out of hand in this world.

Yesterday, my friend Denise devoted her column in the Wichitalk section of our newspaper (the one she and I both work for) to the blogs of some others who post pictures of apostrophe horrors among other things. See, it's not just me!

Check a couple of them out for yourselves:
http://apostrophism.com
http://www.apostropheabuse.com/

4 comments:

chitknit said...

Just the other day, the clubhouse bulletin board in our apartment complex had a sign reading

Donate to Harvesters. Bring in "4" cans of food to be entered in a drawing for rent reduction.

"4"? Like, can I bring in three, but SAY I brought in four, wink, wink, and still be entered in the drawing?

Denise said...

Yay! Someone reads my "drivel"

Lori said...

Aren't these 2 "hilarious" 4 u?

Linda said...

I hate having to think where I put an apostrophe. I had to re-type apostrophe three times because that's one hard word to type!!!!