Tuesday, September 18, 2007

'80s Music Revisited

Saturday evening I attended a show at Cabaret Oldtown. I usually love their shows. They're hip, they're fun and the last one I saw there (Menopausapalooza) was a real winner. The current show is a celebration of '80s music and while it did get my toe tapping, it wasn't my favorite show they've ever done. To the left is a picture of the program cover.

Now, I don't mean to be all anal, but really, the apostrophe? Why do people do that? It's not possessive, it's plural! And they spelled gnarly with an 'e': gnarley. I know it's slang and I shouldn't have that grammar stick shoved so far up my backside, but this is a professional theater doing a professional show. Welcome to a huge pet peeve of mine.

I even pulled out the dictionary thinking I might be mistaken about gnarley. And I can admit when I'm wrong. Most of the time. Although the Webster's definition of gnarly is and I quote "gnarled", there is no entry for gnarley. I even went to wikipedia and searched for the slang there. No entry for either gnarly or gnarley. Nothing! I guess they couldn't have used the Pac-Mac icon as an 'e' unless they thew an extra letter in somewhere. Maybe that was their justification? So, weigh in with me here fellow bloggers. What's your take on it?

Here's our Totally Gnarly '80s group:

Laurie, Joyce and me -- all of us graduated from Newman back when it was still Kansas Newman College. Photo credit to a tall guy named Big Al that Joyce knows. We still had fun despite the bad program cover!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Definitely "gnarly" without the "E"!!! And I'm pretty anal about spelling and punctuation too - the old proof-reader in me I guess. Although sometimes when I'm typing my blog I'm sure I make mistakes. My mind gets ahead of my fingers sometimes! LOL!

Lori said...

That show looks so fun! I'm glad you were able to go! I want to hear more about it soon!

Country Girl said...

you are definitely right on the gnarly. and really... it should have an apostrophe but... it should be before the 8 (to replace the 19). does sound like it would have been a super cool show though!!

and here is another one that bugs me. when people put "ya'll" instead of "y'all". it isn't "ya all" -- it's "you all".

anyhoo... if you really want to bash spelling, etc... go read the pillars out at dumont... amazes me the amount of money they paid for those historical facts, etc... and how many things are wrong.

Chris said...

I agree, Cowgirl. So I've changed the title of my blog to put the apostrophe in the correct place. Well said!