Wednesday, November 14, 2007

El Gaucho evening

Janette, Laurie, Kathleen, Carolyn and me at El Gaucho Steakhouse
Sunday evening I met the Newman college gang at El Gaucho Steakhouse for an evening of good food, good drink and even better conversation. We welcomed newcomer (and K-State alum) Carolyn and she passed all initiation rites. We started with a pitcher of sangria which was an excellent choice. There was no serenade by our waiter this time, but we had fun anyway. Nothing really earth-shattering to report because what happens on our Sunday nights stays there.

I had the fried steak entree smothered in ham, mozzarella and some sort of red sauce. It was good, but I thought there was too much red sauce and it overpowered the dish. My favorite thing (besides the sangria) was the to-die-for bread we were served. It comes with a couple of things to spread on it, including a tomato, onion and olive oil concoction that was quite tasty and very soft butter with parsley. But I LOVED the parsley spread (from what I remember it had parsley, garlic and olive oil at least) that accompanied it. It was probably my favorite part of the meal.

Ladies, as always, it was a pleasure to be in your company.

5 comments:

Heather rules said...

I've been wanting to try that place. The spreads for the breads (hehe) sound delish!

Denise said...

That olive oil garlic thing is called chimichurri sauce. Yummmmm.

Heather rules said...

OMG - I had a veggie chimichurri sandwich at the brewery in Lawrence. It was one of the best sandwiches EVER!

Khageman said...

I thought El Gaucho was quite yummy. And, I must agree with Chris, the company was superb.

Country Girl said...

i'm glad you tried el gaucho... you are officially my guinea pig... i was kinda scared to try. :) thanks for easing my fears.