Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Why is it so cold in here?

Can you tell what's wrong with this picture? Yeah, neither could I.

This is a picture of the inside of my furnace. Monday morning it stopped blowing warm air and started blowing cold air constantly. So I shut it off and went to work. I figured I'd deal with it when I got home and had more time. Besides, with a forecast of around 60 for Monday, it was very low risk leaving it off.

Monday night I called Brent, a friend from church who knows about such things. He gave my number to a guy named Brian who he said would be able to help me out. Brian came over last night after work and looked at the same thing you're seeing in the picture above. It took him about 3 seconds to say, "Oh, it's your igniter. It's cracked. See?" Not really, but I trust you.

Brian didn't have the part because it's "rare" which I immediately translated to "expensive" and when pressed further for a price, he said he wasn't sure how much a new one would cost. After more pressing from me, he guessed it might be about $85. Well, that's better than it could be, but I'll reserve judgment until I know the actual price.

He lit the furnace for me last night and it ran for about three hours warming up the house before I switched it off and went to bed. At 9:30 it was 70 degrees. This morning at 7:30 it was 58 degrees. Good thing I have great insulation. And it was darn cold last week, so I'm glad it was timed to coincide with nicer weather.

He's supposed to come back tonight with the part and fix it for good. I suppose this is one of the joys of homeownership I don't like -- paying all the bills. But consistently having heat again sure will be nice.

6 comments:

Heather rules said...

$85 is not that bad. Could be a lot worse. I thought it would be more.

Unknown said...

I hope the part isn't expensive. One December we had our furnace, hot water tank and dish washer go out all in one week. What a merry week that was :-)

Heather rules said...

Are you warm yet?

Country Girl said...

our igniter went out last winter i think it was... about $100. blah! but blah beats brrr!! :)

Linda said...

ah, the joys of home ownership! Bet you're glad it's getting fixed!

Jaime said...

My bill actually was $85. All he did was replace the two filters and trip the starter. He prolonged it to take about thirty minutes. Wish I made that much in under one hour.