Sunday, January 20, 2008

Solid gold pictures

Before I post any pictures, it needs to be said that I'm the fifth child of five. Consequently there are approximately 17 million pictures of my oldest sister, Teresa, doing anything and everything about every day of her first year. And the amount of photos goes down exponentially as the rest of us came along.

This first picture is my favorite of the sibs before I arrived on the scene. They're in line by age, youngest to oldest, obviously. John, Jenny, Mark and Teresa. Teresa still does that thing with her mouth that she's doing in this picture.


Here's a picture of me at age two or three. Yes, my hair's still this straight and flat, I'm just much more advanced at using hair products now.

We were never really big on taking studio photos during the poor years. This was taken on Thanksgiving Day 1972 at my Grandma's house. I was probably about the same age as I was in the previous photo, give or take a year. Notice my brother John having a facial conniption, Mom's stylish hair and blouse and Jenny and Teresa with their shirts buttoned up all the way. What dorks! But I think I look fabulous, as usual.

This next one is a Polaroid masterpiece. I'm guessing I was either in kindergarten or first grade. It was taken inside my Grandma and Grandpa's house on Christmas Eve. Mark looks incredibly bored with all of us.


This studio shot, circa 1978, was taken at Riggs Studio in Great Bend. I loved that red and blue striped dress.


This next one was taken by Tim Basgall at his home studio when he lived north of Ellinwood. He was so funny that he got us all to laugh and that's quite a feat. I know it was the early '80s by the wings of my hair.

Be gentle, blog readers.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh my, these are priceless!! LOVE the wings!! (And I say that as a former wing-head my own self. In fact, that photo of you is much more flattering than any taken of me in the 80s.)

And why *wouldn't* you have loved that red and blue striped dress? I want one.

Rockyn Robyn said...

LOLOL!!!!! I thing I remember the year of the ribbon around the neck!! Been there!
You're adorable, by the way! Then AND now!!

Linda said...

great pics! Love the picture of you by yourself. I understand the straight hair thing, I fight that myself. Priceless photos!

Heather rules said...

Loving these pics. but I did get a preview before they made it to the blog.

Anonymous said...

These are awesome! I'm so glad you shared them!

Jaime said...

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing them.