Monday, May 5, 2008

Day one: Whatever I want to do

Since I left the Eagle (aka the Big Bird) for the last time as an employee on Friday, I've been really busy. Appropriately, I went to see the Broadway touring production of "Movin' Out" on Friday night at Century II. The dancing was amazing and the music was wonderful. In case you don't know it's all Billy Joel tunes with choreography done by Twyla Tharp. Both of my thumbs enthusiastically up. Thanks to my friend, Laurie, for letting me tag along with her. Before the show, we went to Old Chicago where I had two of these incredibly large beers.

Saturday morning I went to the Crown Uptown to see "Charlotte's Web" which is the current show for kids. I went with my friends Jennifer and Isabella. Bella is a huge fan of the newer movie version with real people and I'm a huge fan of the older animated version. We all enjoyed the buffet of yellow foods (applesauce, french fries, chicken nuggets, mac & cheese and hot dogs) and the show. The guy who played Wilbur was pretty funny. His snorting pig noises and dancing were hilarious. Bella took her stuffed Wilbur (who also makes pig noises) to the show. I think he enjoyed it as much as Bella enjoyed her pink smoothie. Notice that she has pigtails like Fern.

Saturday evening I went to Margarita's Cantina for dinner to celebrate the 50th birthday of my former co-worker, Holly. It seems so weird to think that I don't really have any co-workers anymore. For the first time in over 10 years I'm not on call. It's a very strange feeling. Not bad, just strange. I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures from the evening. Not even of the two large margaritas I consumed. Probably best that way.

Yesterday I was a little sad about the job situation. Everything finally had a chance to sink in and I was just feeling a little sorry for myself. I just hung out at home, got caught up on the TiVo shows and did some yard work. Oh yeah, I had a nap, too. Last night I accepted an invitation to have dinner and watch a movie with some friends.

Today I woke up with a great feeling. I can do whatever I want to do today and all the other days until I find a new job. But there was one thing I had to do, which was go to a presentation at The Salvation Army. I am on one of the allocations panels for United Way and our first presentation was today.

Now I'm just getting caught up on blog entries, which is on my list of things to do now that I'm unemployed. Next up: finishing the yard work, re-potting a ficus tree, planting some flowers outside and cleaning the house in preparation for my special house guests who will arrive on Thursday.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds like Movin' Out was really good! Glad you're feeling better today than yesterday. Enjoy all your projects, and your house guests later this week. Talk to you soon!

Heather rules said...

You can do whatever you want. A nap sounds really good to me. Since the garden excitement I had yesterday, my body feels like it's gonna give out.

Country Girl said...

charlotte's web is on my to do list too!! i haven't been to crown uptown since '90. we meant to go see footloose... it just never happened. :(