Monday, December 17, 2007

Nutcracker virgin

I know, I know. How can it be that I'd never seen this Christmas staple? I've never even watched it on television. Believe it, because it's the truth. Since a friend's daughter was in "The Nutcracker" at Friends University, I thought I'd go. Hannah starred as "a mouse who dies" in this year's show. She did an outstanding job. And I loved it. The costumes were fantastic and the dancing was fab, too. The Friends students were better than I expected. And the professionals from New York City who danced as the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Prince? Well, they were awesome. The mice and the ginger cookies were so cute. I may just have to start going every year and make it a holiday tradition.

9 comments:

Princess Jill said...

Get this - I have never seen the Nutcracker - not even on TV. This blogging thing is really addictive.

Jaime said...

Don't feel bad, I hadn't seen "It's A Wonderful Life" until last year. I still have never seen "Oklahoma" (I know that's not a Christmas play, but it still seems irresponsible for a wannabe thespian living in the Great Plains).

Chris said...

I saw "Oklahoma!" (it simply must have the exclamation) this past summer down in OKC at Lyric Theatre. They did it because it's the 100th anniversary of Oklahoma's statehood. Those people go NUTS for that musical down there. Thanks, Jill, for making me feel a little bit better for never having seen it. I think I know who I'll ask to go with me if I go again next year!

Linda said...

Here's another Nutcracker virgin. Never seen it...guess I should someday, huh?

Heather rules said...

Another one right here and I'm a drama geek.

Country Girl said...

you had NEVER seen "the nutcracker"?!?! that's just unamerican!! i'm glad you finally saw it. i hinted year after year after year to mr shawn. he finally surprised me with tix last year - front row of the balcony too!! he can be so romantic when he tries.

i must admit though... i have never seen "it's a wonderful life" = i started to watch it this past saturday night... well, 10 minutes in and i was already crying - then the stupid weather guy came on -- and quite honestly... i just didn't feel like crying anymore. i vow to watch it THIS holiday season though. promise promise.

Anonymous said...

i remember going to see the nutcracker at century II every year during elementary school. i would love to see it again.

Khageman said...

I have never seen the Nutcracker either, however I travel yearly to Hutchinson to take in a performance of the Prairie Nutcracker. It is a fabulous show! Of course, my dad plays the commanding general and my mom has small part as well so I may be slightly biased:)

Suzanne said...

Never seen "The Nutcracker"?? Aw, that's not so bad. I didn't see it until Hannah started dancing...

And I've still never seen "Miracle on 34th Street."