Thursday, October 4, 2007

Under the weather

I have to admit I've been feeling icky for the past week or so. I felt so icky that I stayed home from work Tuesday because getting out of bed seemed to take a lot more energy than I had to spare. I did drag myself out, though, and went to see the doctor. Or in this case my doctor's physician assistant (who has a broken ankle from tripping over her cat). She did all the appropriate questioning and listening to the heart and lungs and agreed with me that I have a sinus infection. I get these about once or twice a year, so I'm very familiar with how they feel. After the appointment, I filled the prescription at the grocery store (where I proceeded to spend $46 on groceries because it took FOREVER to fill the scrip) and then went home for a much-needed nap.

Yesterday I was back to work and feeling a bit better. Late in the day I succumbed to the pressure of the headache and took a couple of Excedrin. Note to self: don't take Excedrin after 2 p.m. I don't drink a lot of caffeine (only coffee in the mornings and not much of that) because, well, it's a long story. The good news is that the Excedrin wiped out the headache perfectly, but led me to only get three hours of sleep last night. Ugh. I'm so tired I could sleep standing propped up against a wall somewhere. It didn't help that I had to be at work at 6:30 this morning for a drive replacement on one of the systems.

On the up side, the lack of sleep afforded me some quality time with the book I'm currently reading:

I'm not sure how I feel about the book yet, but it is a true story. Written by Carole Radziwill, it chronicles her life as the daughter of a middle-class family in Suffern, NY (that 'burb is actually mentioned on the "Sex & the City" series, FYI). She grows up, gets a job at ABC News and falls in love and marries a Polish prince, Anthony Radziwill (he's also the nephew of Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis). It's all very idyllic and after they marry they are best friends with John Kennedy Jr. and Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy. But Anthony has cancer and it all really falls apart when John-John and Carolyn die in a plane crash and Anthony dies from cancer three weeks later. It's a heart-breaking story (isn't everything connected to the Kennedys?) but it is almost equally hard to put down. It's like a train-wreck and I feel like I'm one of the "tragedy whores" she references in the book.

I've always been fascinated by all things JFK. My parents have a well-worn copy of a book called "Six Days in November" or something like that and I have read it repeatedly throughout my life. I wasn't born yet when JFK was shot, but I've read about it over and over again and looked at the pictures in that book more times than I can count. I probably originally ran across the book when I was dusting those built-in bookshelves in my parents' living room and I think I must have sat down that day and at least looked at the pictures. The picture of a very small JFK, Jr. saluting his father's casket as the funeral procession passes is one of my favorites. After looking at that book I remember asking my Mom about what she was doing when it happened. She didn't hesitate at all when she answered. With four small kids at home (my brother, John, was probably eight months old at the time), she was doing ironing or some household chore and they broke in to whatever she was watching on TV (most likely a soap opera) with the chilling news. I have since visited the "grassy knoll" and Sixth Floor museum in Dallas with my friend, Lucy, who's from England and has visited me many times. On her first visit (which was also her longest visit) her top three things to see were: the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains and the grassy knoll. So we went. It tells you how truly captivating JFK and his life were if a gal who's my age (minus six years old when he was shot) and lives five thousand miles away had the grassy knoll among her top three sights to see on her first trip to the U.S.

Once I finish the book I'll let you know what I think. Until then I'll just be glad I'm not related.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Fascinating blog entry, Chris. That book sounds intriguing. Anyone of my age is also fascinated by the Kennedys. Could not believe the fate of John Jr. and his wife. By the way, I was in kindergarten when JFK was assassinated, and could not understand why all the teachers and adults at school were crying and stricken. Then I went home to a crying mother. It was so weird. Still a very vivid memory.

Linda said...

I'm dating myself here, but I remember when JFK was killed. I was in 1st grade at St. Margaret Mary Parochial School, and we were all taken to the church to pray for our president who had been shot. When I got home from school, my mom, who had been in the middle of waxing the kitchen floor, was sitting in the living room, amid the kitchen table and chairs she'd moved out to do her cleaning. I remember being glued to the TV the rest of that day, and yes, I have a vivid memory of seeing John John salute his father's casket. Amazing that I can still remember this so well, especially at my age! I know I will never forget it. I am also a voracious reader of all things Kennedy. I think this is a book I'd like to read.

Hope you are feeling better! Don't you just hate sinus infections?

Heather rules said...

The image of JFK Jr. salute JFKs casket makes me cry everytime I see it. I may have to read that book as well. I guess I'm a tragedy whore too.

Country Girl said...

Does sound like a fascinating book... might have to borrow it sometime. I wasn't around when JFK was shot, but remember being in my in-law's living room playing with my son when the news of JFK Jr's plane crash came on. Such a sad moment, and the days that followed.