Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Not now, I'm caucussing

Tonight I went, stood, shivered a little in the cold and let myself be counted for the Democratic party's caucus for presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. My appointed place to caucus (I LOVE that word) was the jury room at the Sedgwick County Courthouse.

It took about 45 minutes of standing in line (mostly outside) before I got to this sign which pointed into the jury room where I signed in twice (once for security and once in the official book) for my civic duty.

Shortly before I got to the jury room I ran into this dapper young gentleman named Finnegan who was in line with his parents. He has the most stunning blue eyes which just happened to match his snappy hat, pacifier and I (heart) Barack t-shirt.

Once I got all signed in, I actually found a seat. It was a Caucus Miracle. But shortly after that they called those of us who'd already signed in to go out into the lobby of the courthouse and be counted so they could let the rest of those waiting in line into the room. I'm sure they would have broken lots of fire codes had they not cleared the room out a bit. I struggled with who should have my caucus vote.



Should
it be Hillary or Barack?














This is how I look when I caucus:


As I was waiting in the lobby to be counted, the Hillary supporters started chanting "Hillary! Hillary!" and the Barack supporters started chanting "We can change! We can change!" It was a really neat experience and I'm glad I braved the cold for this cause. Once I got the black "X" on my hand I was free to go.

Who did I eventually get counted for? I don't caucus and tell!

10 comments:

Lori said...

Congratulations Chris! There are lots of people in the newsroom who are envious of your ability to participate in the caucus. Just glad you were there to represent, no matter who you voted for.

chitknit said...

Wait, wait. Did you go to a bar, underage? Is that why they used big black Xs for markers?

We got stamps that said "believe."

chitknit said...

Thanks for your donation, by the way! ;-)

Rockyn Robyn said...

sounds so dirty, caucusing with X

Jennifer Lynne said...

You look so pretty caucusing.... :-)

Linda said...

You don't caucus and tell LOL! You crack me up!

Country Girl said...

Finnegan... that's a really cool name.

Suzanne said...

At least you didn't fall down and break your coccyx on your way home from the caucus...

I, too, am totally envious. We newsroom types weren't allowed to caucus, so we'll just have to caucus vicariously through you. Way to rock the caucus!

Think I used the word "caucus" enough in this comment?...

Jaime said...

That baby Barack shirt is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

help me convince cowgirl to vote this year!