Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I do love me some sunsets

I've been to Maui and there are a multitude of postcards depicting their beautiful island sunsets. Aside from the beaches and crystal clear waters, Maui's got nothin' on Kansas in the sunset department. I've seen some of the most beautiful colors ever in Kansas sunsets. I took these pictures on my trip back home from Ellinwood earlier this month. The first two were taken at approximately 70 mph just north of Sterling out the car window. I must say I'm very proud of these. I love the snow you can see in the second one. Yes, I took them and, yes, I was driving. No, I didn't hit anything, and, no, I don't make a habit of doing this.


This next picture shows the same day's sunset about 20 minutes farther down the road. This one I did stop for: on the ramp where highways 50 and 96 merge for a mile before you get to South Hutchinson. Don't worry, I made sure no one was coming and I was only stopped for a few seconds.

Eat your heart out, Maui.

8 comments:

Linda said...

gorgeous pictures Chris!

Lori said...

ah, chris, you and i come from the same place on the prairie, and it seems to have the same pull. i sometimes think i had a previous life as a pioneer woman because these vast plains have such an effect on me. i love these photos, and i know exactly why you had to capture those vistas.

Jaime said...

Nice pics. My favorite is the last one. I'm a sucker for a good sunset, too.

Heather rules said...

The last one is breathtaking.

Unknown said...

Chris, the photos are beautiful. One of my favorite things at my sister's farm in Greenwood County is the sunsets. Great job on the photos and your driving ability.

Anonymous said...

That last one is incredible. Kansans do see great sunsets.

Country Girl said...

Awesome pics!! I need to post a pic of my sunset... took it in Chase County. Don't hold your breath though... I still haven't dug out the old Olan Mills pics. :)

Jennifer Lynne said...

Sorry I'm a little late on catching up on blogs.... I love these pictures!