Saturday, October 11, 2008

Recycling

This week I went to the recycling center all by myself! Inspired by my friend Jennifer, I purchased some plastic containers several weeks ago and started my own recycling program. All it cost was the money for the containers and my gas down to the Pro Kansas Miller Recycling Center in south Wichita, which only has to be done every month or so. This is a picture of me in the car waiting in line with my stuff in the back seat.

Once inside, it didn't take long to distribute my recyclables into the various bins. Here's a shot of other people doing the same thing.

It's a busy place on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, since that's the only time during the week that it's open. It's also open on Saturdays from 9 to 3, and I would imagine it's a lot more crowded then. It doesn't cost much to get started, but the feeling of knowing that I'd done something good for the environment this week was priceless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud!!!! Finally, and what is this about your friend Jennifer getting you started! I have been doing this for years.

chitknit said...

I used to go there on Saturday mornings - I always like the feeling of community among my fellow recyclers!

Now, since we moved to the "big city" we actually have curbside recycling. When will Wichita finally get on board with that?

Linda said...

WAY TO GO!!! It's great having curbside pickup. They forced it on us, but it's been great because we recycle almost EVERYTHING! Empty cereal boxes, junk mail, plastic, cans, bottles, etc. It's sure made our regular trash dwindle!

Anonymous said...

Colwich even has curbside recycling now. Wake up, Wichita! Actually taking in your recyclables isn't that bad. I used to drive down to Weyerhouser - it may be the same place. Then Colwich had monthly drop off recycling and now we have curbside. Way to go Chris!! Joyce

Country Girl said...

we have recycling things out in our garage. tara found some super cool bags on dwr.com -- so that is what the hubby got for his birthday -- he is very into recycling. and i'm adapting. i just wish he'd haul the stuff off more often. i do feel a sense of pride every time i rinse out a tuna can. ;)