Saturday, October 4, 2008

A much-needed change of scenery

I spend a lot of time in my house during these unemployed days. Don't get me wrong. I love my house and being in it does not make me unhappy. But I needed to get away from these walls for a couple of days and look at something different. A trip to Ellinwood to see my family seemed in order. I needed a family fix. And boy, did I get one!

My first order of business upon arriving was to attend the cake and ice cream party for my niece Katie's 19th birthday. Even though she got a promise ring from her boyfriend, Frank, they both assured us that marriage is a long way down the road for them. Like after they've graduated from college (they're both freshmen) and have jobs. I hope they do wait so my brother-in-law Kenny won't have a coronary. She's still his little girl and he's not ready to watch her walk down that aisle just yet. Me either. Teresa (her mom) made her a red velvet cake, but some people preferred the store-bought decorated white cake. In this picture her big brother Andrew is messing with her.

The next day I spent some time with Terri and Zach when they stopped by my mom and dad's house. Then I went with my parents to the St. Joseph's parish picnic. It's not really a picnic, but a catered affair. We dined on fried chicken (one of my dad's all-time favorites), mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green beens and bread. The catering was done by a place in Hudson, Kansas, called the Wheatland Cafe. They do a very good job. I sat with my cousin Jason, his wife Heather and their two kids, Ethan and Madisyn (pictured at right). After the meal when the kids were outside playing games, I got sidelined into a couple of games of pitch with the older folks.

My card-playing pals: Joy, Karen, Lorene, Gilbert who didn't play, Rachel and Paul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.