Friday, August 31, 2007

California's Best Sunflower

I bought these flowers tonight after work when I stopped by the grocery store on my way home. They were labeled as "California Sunflowers" and I just couldn't say no to them. My great aunt Margie lives in Dana Point, CA, not far from the Pacific Ocean. She's one of my favorite people in the whole world. This is a picture of Aunt Margie (on the right) with her daughter, Katie, when I visited them last summer. She was my maternal grandma's youngest sister and she turned 90 this June (she's the last living of those seven Jones kids).

Here's why the sunflowers reminded me of her: Aunt Margie had a neighbor once who planted some sunflowers that were in full bloom one time when I was there to visit. She told me that she loved looking at them from her deck because they reminded her of her relatives in Kansas. Now it makes sense why I love her so much, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Country Girl said...

Wow, Chris, Those sunflowers are AWESOME!! I love sunflowers - they are just a happy flower, like the gerber daisy... or is it gerbera?? I've seen it both ways. :)