Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The update, continued

Last Friday after the circus left, I had one night to recover from the visit (mostly from all the hard physical labor I did -- hey, shopping is hard!) before I had another adventure.

Before I move on, though, I must share that my sister Jenny's 47th birthday was Friday
(8-8-08). She gave us all instructions months ago that she wanted eight presents from everyone on her birthday. So Teresa and I complied. We pooled our resources and wits and got her eight gifts. One of her gifts is an 18-month calendar from Shutterfly with pictures of our vacation to Montana, Yellowstone and points west back in May. Somehow I timed it just right and she actually got her calendar on Friday. She called to tell me she loved it. The rest of her gifts haven't gotten to her yet, so I'll have to stay mum in case she reads this. But Teresa sent her eight cards with various items in them: chewing gum, two dollars for Diet Coke and sunflower stickers. Teresa is a little nuts. But I think we've covered that before.

(Birthday side note: My oldest sister, Teresa, was born August 6, 1959. Brother Mark was born July 22, 1960. Jenny came along on August 8, 1961. So my mother had three kids in two
years and two days. My brother John came into the world on February 21, 1963. [I know this even though I input his birthday wrong on her calendar!] Then I was born April 2, 1969. Mom likes to point out that she had four kids under the age of four before drive-through banks existed.)

Saturday morning my sister Teresa, her husband Kenny, daughter Katie and Katie's boyfriend, Frank, picked me up and we zipped down to Oklahoma City. Saturday was my nephew
Christopher's birthday and even though he had to work all day, we went down to see him. We hit Penn Square Mall first and Katie got lots of clothes while I made my purchase at Sephora (I <3 that store) and then treated myself to a very indulgent pedicure. You may admire my toes now.
It's the first time I've ever gotten flowers on my big toes. Christopher met us at The Cheesecake Factory for a 23rd birthday celebration between the matinee and the evening show. We had the waitstaff sing to him before he left to go back to work. And somehow I managed to screw up the flower on my left foot. I went back and they graciously fixed it for me.

We checked into our room and then got ready to attend Lyric Theatre's evening performance of "UrineTown (the musical)" at the Civic Center. It was the first time for all of us to see this show. It was wonderful. We laughed a lot. I shot this picture backstage after the show was over and they were starting to tear down (strike) the set and costumes. It was a flurry of activity and Christopher had to get back to work. Notice he's
now sporting a mohawk.

Sunday morning we met for breakfast at IHOP. After going to see the house he's moving into this month we headed out of town. Most of us napped on the way home (except Kenny who was driving) and that made the trip go exceptionally fast.

When I got back home I had just a couple of minutes to unpack and regroup before I went to a birthday party for my friend Joyce. She turned 40 on August 6. I haven't seen some of Joyce's family members since she got married over 11 years ago, so it was nice to catch up with them and see the newest member of Joyce's family, her niece Aliyah.
Joyce holding the three-week-old.

Joyce's daughter Gabrielle, two-year-old Ellie, Aliyah and Joyce's sister Sarah (also Ellie's mom).

Laurie, Joyce and Joyce's sister Angela, new mom to Aliyah. At this point they were telling funny family stories.

Joyce's sash says Ms. Over the Hill. It wasn't planned but it matched perfectly with the clothes she was wearing that day.

Ellie after she obviously enjoyed her cake and ice cream.

I think Aunt Joyce and Grandma Judy might have given her some extra cake so she could eat the frosting, but I don't want to get them in trouble or anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when I make the blog - even if I did have to turn 40 to make it in. Love the pictures!Joyce

Linda said...

Love the flower toes! You have been one BUSY lady!

Heather rules said...

I love Christopher's hair. Well and Christopher too. And his mom is pretty darn funny too.