Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Renovations on the homestead

For the past year or so my parents have been doing some home renovations. Since I'd been there last, they had some of the windows and siding replaced. The first picture (on the right) shows part of the house with old siding and windows.

The picture on the left is of the new siding and windows. What a difference the new siding has made. It looks so much more modern than their house has ever looked. The siding and trim will be painted eventually, but my mom is still undecided on the color. I tried to help her, but we don't agree at all about what would look good. My brother Mark will be no help because he thinks that all houses should be white. I'll definitely post a picture when they make a decision and have it painted. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

For the past two days I've been at my parents house painting in the bathrooms. The first
bathroom I worked on was the new bathroom they installed last year. Installation of this bathroom brought their total bathroom count up to three, which is handy when we're all there for holidays. I touched up the ceiling and put a second coat of very light peach paint in the new bathroom. I also painted the shower surround (same color as the walls) which hadn't been painted at all. It looks so much better if I do say so myself. That's the shower to the left of the picture.

The next bathroom renovation project was to completely gut my dad's bathroom and fix the floor boards (shower pipe leakage problems caused some wood to rot). My mom found some mis-tinted paint at the home improvement store for $5 and decided it was perfect for my dad's bathroom. A before picture on the left and an after picture on the right. The best thing about painting in this room was that it was empty. My mom, sister and I went to the local furniture store yesterday and picked out some linoleum for the floor. They installed it today but it was after I'd already left so I don't have a picture of that. The picture is deceiving, but it's a light olive green and is quite pretty. Can't wait to see it with all the new fixtures. Once this bathroom is completely done, the old bathroom in the front of the house will be removed and walls will come down to enlarge their living room and give them a bigger dining room area. It's exciting to see these changes since it's been over 20 years since the big kitchen remodel.

2 comments:

Linda said...

you are such a helpful daughter! I hate house renovations. Wanna come help US paint?

Heather rules said...

you did a great job. I love the green!!