Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Jayhawks are #1!

I'm a big fan of NCAA basketball, especially the Big 12 conference and the Kansas Jayhawks. You can see from the picture that I own a big Jayhawk foam finger (thanks to my friend, Laurie, who gave it to me a couple of Christmases ago). That means I'm a pretty hard-core fan, I think.

Two years ago I attended two games at Allen Fieldhouse and that only fueled the fire. The regular season games are fun, but I heart March Madness. The Jayhawks and I usually have a March Madness routine: they break my heart by losing a game that they should have won. I always forgive them and go back to loving them by the time the next season rolls around.

Twenty years ago when Danny and the Miracles won the 1988 Championship, I was a college freshman. I remember watching that game at the dorm on someone's tiny television. That year I got a Final Four t-shirt from some friends for my birthday. I always thought of that championship as a great birthday present from my Jayhawks. I haven't professed my love for the Jayhawks on this blog because I thought it might jinx their season. I shouldn't have worried because Monday night all the naysayers were silenced.

THE KANSAS JAYHAWKS ARE THE 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

Speaking of superstitions, my friend Lori B. chalked up Monday night's championship win because she was wearing her lucky slipper socks. My friend Monty changed his shirt in the middle of the game on Saturday night because he felt they were losing their mojo against North Carolina. I can't argue with their logic and I can't fault them for their enthusiasm. For all I know the socks and the shirt change did help.

I have to say that on Monday night during the championship game, I thought they were going to lose to Memphis when they were down by nine points with 2:12 left on the clock. Who didn't think that? But the Hawks came storming back and stunned the Tigers. Mario's Miracle shot to tie the game with seconds left on the clock was pure magic. I jumped out of my bed (where I watched the second half) because I was so excited. I feel so special to have been a part of it just by being a fan. What an awesome championship game. I watch them every year, but this year was something truly special. This victory has been just as sweet as these cupcakes I found at Dillons and we ate during Saturday night's semifinal game:


Come on, chant it with me: "ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK. KU."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say it with you ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK K.... U...!
The cupcakes were awesome thanks for sharing them with us. Were you there when Paul was talking about superstitions and that we would all have to be there drinking the same beverages at the championship? Monday morning on our way to school, Chase said, "Mom, I don't it makes a difference if you drink a beer. I just think they need to play good." What does he know?!? I drank a beer (or two) just in case.

Heather rules said...

I'm not just saying it with you, I'm CHANTING IT!! hehe
As I already told you, Monday in the second half, I was thinking to myself "Chris better be where she was Saturday night" due to the superstitions of your friends. hehe.

Linda said...

I've always been superstitious about my sports teams. Corby usually isn't, but he has a pair of KU shorts that he wore through the whole tournament. I finally got them off of him and washed before the NC game!

Lori said...

Great post, Chris. I am still just downright giddy about our win! Woo hoo!

Excuse me now while I finally go and wash those slipper socks ...

Country Girl said...

i had to set the dvr to record the game because shawn said it's bad luck for him to do it, then... when ku was down, and it looked like they'd lose... he quit recording. then... when it went to OT, he said "oh, i guess i better start recording again." i'm like "dude, why'd you stop in the first place?" silly boy.

El Bee said...

I realize I'm responding late but I was reading this blog and my only thought was...I'm the only Lori B. in the world! :(
Hehe...no I remember getting Lori B. mail for me at the Eagle that wasn't actually mine. Good times.