Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Guess who I met

Last week I went to Oklahoma City to see my nephew, Christopher. He works for Lyric Theatre and is the second-in-command in the costume department. I went on opening night of "Swing!" to see the show. Wichita's own Barb Schoenhofer was a featured singer in the show. She and Christopher Morgan were my favorites. While I've met Barb before (when she was in "Cabaret" at Lyric two years ago), I had never met Mr. Morgan. I was impressed with him on stage. And even more impressed that his wife is Kim Fields (aka Tootie from "Facts of Life")! She was tending to Sebastian, their one-year-old son, when I met her in his dressing room before the show. It was quite exciting! My nephew asked her during the show (she was in the dressing room watching the show on television) if she'd mind taking a picture with me. She graciously agreed, but by the time we got a chance to find her they were already gone. Christopher was going to try to get a picture with her and send it to me, but I haven't gotten one yet. If I do I'll post it, I promise!

After opening night of the show, there's a reception at a local restaurant where the cast and crew mingle with the audience from the show. I didn't see too many audience members there, but the cast and crew where there in full force. I got a free drink and a couple of egg rolls out of the deal, so I was happy. When we left there we went to a bar having karaoke night and Christopher (my
nephew) and Barb did a duet. They sang Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and even though they'd had several cocktails, they still rocked it. I couldn't resist posting a photo.

It was a good trip and if I'm not working yet in early August, I think I'll go for the opening of "Urinetown" since I haven't seen that one yet.

I also got a tour of the costume shop where all the magic happens. This is just a glimpse of it. This is a huge room where all the costumes are arranged by show.


A couple of the sewing machines.

Since no trip to OKC is complete without a meal at Iron Starr Urban Bar-b-q, we ate lunch there on Wednesday before I came back home. Yummy.

4 comments:

Jennifer Lacy said...

sorry i missed you! i am going to Iron Starr Saturday night!

Heather rules said...

Tootie ROCKS!

Linda said...

Was so excited when you texted me from OKC and told me about seeing Tootie! Hope Christopher got a pic!

Never been to Iron Starr. Sounds good.

Country Girl said...

y'know... i think i forgot to ask you that night you texted me about tootie... um, was she wearing roller skates??