Tuesday, July 22, 2008

After Harvest Festival 2008

This past weekend I attended the Ellinwood After Harvest Festival. It's a weekend set aside (always the third weekend of July) to celebrate a good wheat harvest or compare notes on a bad one. But mostly we just drink lots of beer at the beer garden (the sign says beverage garden, but nobody calls it that).

It's a great chance to see friends from high school (if you want to see them) since that's the weekend each year when classes come together for their reunions. Last year I celebrated 20 years of being out of high school with the class of 1987. This year I got to see some of my friends from the class of 1988, who are still just as funny as they ever were. The quantity of alcohol I drink each year is usually proportionate to the lack of sleep that I get: so the more beer I consume, the less I sleep. This year was no exception. Although this year I did get in a little earlier than in years past. One of my friends said it best: "Our curfew for the AHF is 4 a.m." I am happy to say I met curfew both nights.

Here's the drill: You show up at the beer garden by 9 p.m. Close down the beer garden at midnight.
Move to either the American Legion, VFW or Fatty's bar in town to continue the party until 2 a.m. After that it's a crap shoot. If you're an Ellinwood resident, people might show up at your house. Luckily my group got invited to Jean and Rich's house for a continuation of fun and we didn't have to go somewhere we weren't wanted. I left town at 3:14 a.m. when I just couldn't stay awake any longer. Saturday morning is tricky. There's a parade and it's usually pretty good, so if you aren't too hung-over (I wasn't) you show up and sit on someone's lawn or a street corner and watch the parade roll by. Last year I had to be in the parade since I had a class reunion and that's never any fun. The parade started with a flyover and Caden was very interested in the planes. My brother-in-law Kenny tried to hide, but I spotted him with a beer at 10 a.m. He's a farmer which means the After Harvest Festival was designed with him in mind, so I guess it's OK.

There were cars...

...firefighters riding on antique fire engines...

...red hats (that's my sister Teresa in the pink shirt toward the front of the float looking down--she's technically a pink hat [under 50] for another year)...

...the class of 1958, celebrating their 50th (that's my dad Larry in the red shirt and overalls on the back of the float and my uncle Ed to his left in the red shirt and jeans)...

...the class of 1968 who better have won the best float award (they were blasting music from the '60s and singing and dancing with great enthusiasm)...

...and no parade would be complete without the Shriners.

My friend Kayla and her two daughters Lacy and Kelcy watched the parade from across the street. That's her brother-in-law Wes sitting with them on the blanket. That's prime candy area!
On the way to the car I saw my friend Lori and her daughter Brooke on the sidewalk waiting for their ride.
It was a good weekend. I'm glad I was able to go and see some familiar faces and catch up with some friends. I don't get back for it every year, but it's always fun when I do. It's a lot like Vegas: whatever happens at the AHF stays at the AHF!

7 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey, the Wellington Wheat Festival was last weekend, too (must be a Kansas thing). Looks like a good time.

Amy D. said...

Thanks for the recap — reminds me of home (only it's the Bazine Picnic). I've not been for a long time. I should try to make it this year. I do remember the happy after-harvest beer drinking. Good times. And every 5 years, it's the Old Settler's Reunion. Now those are some serious reunion-having, beer-drinking times.

Khageman said...

Hmmm..... I seem to remember attending the Ellinwood AHF one time. And I think I am grateful that what happens at the AHF stays at the AHF, even all these years later:)

Heather rules said...

That sounds like so much fun.

Lori said...

i've been to two or three AHFs myself, chris. they were always a good time. it's a special event. all three of my nieces and nephews who grew up in ellinwood went home last weekend for it. one of them now lives in KC, one in Tulsa and one in Dallas, but they all made sure to atend. it was a big deal for them growing up. good memories, and i'm sure quite a few that must remain part of the AFH confidentiality code.

Linda said...

Wow, looks like a great time! And you met your curfew. Good girl!

Anonymous said...

You keep talking about your blog, so I thought I'd check it out. (The kids are at grandma's in St. Louis...so I have time!)Love the blog and will be checking back.
Of course, I'm glad to see that your overview of the AHF contains no names, locations, or details that could be used in any court of law!
L & K will be thrilled they are in print.
Love ya' friend, hope we meet again on that third weekend in July!
Kayla