Monday, July 18, 2011

It's been 20 years

I took this picture on the campus of Newman University this past May looking west at sunset (obviously). This grotto area is where I remember my college career getting started. The weekend I moved into the dorm as a freshman, there was an outdoor barbeque for the students and their parents in the grotto. It was just after this meal that my parents walked me back to the dorm and left me for good. I was homesick. But that's not what I remember most about that moment. We were walking in front of the big steps on the east side of Sacred Heart Hall and we were talking about whether or not there was anything else I'd need before they left town.

Mom and I had been the grocery store the day before and bought some things for me to keep in my room (getting up early for breakfast has never been my thing) and I had gotten some bagels. They were not pre-cut. I said that the only thing I needed was a knife to cut the bagels. Mom stopped, then so did dad and I, and we watched while she rummaged around in her purse for a minute and then produced a steak knife. My dad and I looked at each other with confused faces. Why did she have a steak knife in her purse? Her story is that she'd taken an apple to work earlier that week, along with the knife to cut it up, and just hadn't removed it yet. Right. It remains one of my favorite "going to college" memories.

This May was the 20th anniversary of my graduation from Newman. I spent a good part of May 2011 remembering my college years. I spent a good bit of time on campus this May as president of the alumni association. I even got to welcome the new graduates to the association at commencement. It was such a good decision for me to go to school at what was then Kansas Newman College in the fall of 1987. I feel blessed and eternally grateful.

No comments: