Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Milestone day

Today marks a special milestone in my life. It was 5 years ago today that I was diagnosed with follicular carcinoma of the thyroid. I'll never forget that phone call from the doctor who confirmed what I already knew in my heart to be true. The three other people in my house that day will probably never forget it either.

Cancer is always easier for the patient. At least it was in my case. My family, especially my parents, had a very difficult time coming to grips with the diagnosis.
Yes, it was awful, but I always knew that I was going to be just fine. Most people who have thyroid cancer live long, full lives and die from something completely different. I had a doctor tell me that if you had to pick a cancer to have, thyroid cancer was the best choice. I don't remember ever having checked a box on a ballot, but it is what it is.

Until today dawned, I really didn't know how heavily these past five years have weighed on me. I have felt lighter and more free today than I have in a long time. Maybe it's coincidental, but I don't think so. This morning I treated myself to the venti iced caramel macchiato at Starbucks. Maybe I've been treating myself to them all too often lately since the staff there knew what I wanted the moment I walked in the door.

This afternoon I took some time off of my job (the beauty of a flexible schedule allowed that) and I ran a couple of errands and then met my friends Jennifer, Jill and Melanie to see "The Proposal" at the Warren east. I have had the tickets pictured above for almost two years (notice they expired at the end of 2008) but they still honored them. A very nice lady named Zoe gave us a behind-the-scenes tour of the theatre and then she bought us popcorn and drinks before we went in to watch the movie. We laughed a lot (both during the tour and the movie) and had a really good time. Afterward we went to Cheddar's for a margarita. (Since she's with child, Jennifer booked it across town to grab some bargains at a consignment sale for her unborn baby, which should make his or her arrival sometime in September. We missed you Jenn!)

Today was very life-affirming. The people at my neighborhood Starbucks know me. I have friends who are a lot of fun (many more than just the three who went to the movie with me today). I have a wonderful family who is always there for me. I also have a job that I truly enjoy.

Yes, I am a cancer survivor. That diagnosis five years ago will follow me for the rest of my life. I will be vigilant about being tested because I know that a recurrence can happen many years down the road. But I have the first five years under my belt and right this minute it feels incredibly good to have gotten over that hurdle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaime said...

Congratulations! It's quite a milestone and we're all thankful.

Linda said...

Wow, Chris, I can't believe it's been 5 years. I remember when you got the diagnosis. You handled it so well and with a very positive attitude, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with beating it and how you feel today. Congrats my friend!

Peggy said...

A great milestone to celebrate. Sending you hugs and good wishes!

Suzanne said...

Yaaay, Chris. So happy for you, and glad you had a nice day to celebrate that amazing milestone. :)