Monday, January 19, 2009

Very special quilts

This quilt was made for me by my great-grandma Jones (she was my mom's grandma). Mom can't remember whether she made it for me when I was a baby or for my dolls, but she made it for me either way. On my last trip to Ellinwood, a little over a week ago, my mom gave me this quilt to bring back to my house. She had come across it looking for something else and isn't that always how it works. I love this quilt. It's a very simple pattern with regular squares, but the colors are beautiful and my favorite part are the stitches. Here's a closer look at it.

You can't tell very well from this picture, either, but the stitches are what my mom called "chicken feet" stitches. I've seen other things that grandma Jones did and she used these stitches a lot. This quilt now has a place of honor on the quilt rack in my bedroom, along with the Sunbonnet Sue quilt my grandma Holl (my mom's mother and grandma Jones's daughter) made for me.

Someday I'll post pictures of the quilts I've made. Hopefully they'll be as special to those I've made them for as these are to me.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I love your quilt pictures and would like to see the ones you've made. I just got a quilt rack yesterday and need to get my sewing room organized so I can get my favorite quilt hung on the rack.

Linda said...

Beautiful quilts! There is nothing more special than a quilt your mom or grandmother passes down. I have one that my grandmother made when there were only 3 of us kids (there ended up being 5, 2 were accidents!). Our names are on it and I will always treasure it!

Anonymous said...

mine will be very special...and i so cant wait to get it!!!